Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Challenge Your Crafty Self!

Hi, I'm Pam, also known as KnitterPam on the Club Scrap Coffeehouse forum. I'm here today to blog about one of my favorite benefits of being an active member of the forum. Two words: Monthly Challenges. Have you tried any of Club Scrap's many monthly challenges lately? They are hosted by some my favorite faces (and fellow Guest Bloggers) on the Club Scrap Coffeehouse chat forum. Each month is an opportunity to try a new technique, follow a new card or layout sketch, create an ATC, use a photography prompt, practice a cool digi technique, or catch up on all of those great projects that come in our pizza boxes. There are so many to choose from that it was difficult to pick just a few to mention in this post - maybe I'll have to come back and blog about some of the others!  :)

For instance, this month (August 2012), our friend Hetty from the Netherlands challenges us in her Technique Challenge to break out those watercolor crayons or their creamy cousins, gelatos. You can make anything you like - cards, a page, or a piece of art to put on a handmade journal. Hetty usually posts a few videos or samples to get us started, and then it's all up to you. Her challenge is always a great way to allow me to experiment for a reason, and she posts a new technique each month. Here's a card I posted using one of her samples as inspiration:


Last month, it was ScrappinJen's turn to post a Sketch Relay Challengeto make a page based on the Come Sail Away Idea Recipe Card sketch you can download each month with a kit purchase. This challenge is made more interesting by the fact that whoever wins picks and posts the next month's sketch. Isn't that fun?

So, here is the sketch...

  

 ...and here is a page I made about my Dad.  The sketch can be interpreted however it suits you, but the left layout fit my idea and photos perfectly:




Next up, ScrappinJen hosts a monthly Card Sketch Challenge. You can enter as many times as you are inspired; some months I've even posted three or four cards! This challenge is one of my favorites, because I love seeing all the varied interpretations of the sketch, and then making sure mine is different. Sometimes I let the sketch idea gel in my head for a few days (or weeks, ahem...) but then one day my craft table calls to me and I drop whatever I'm doing and make the card. The following card was not only influenced by Jen's sketch, but by an idea I saw on Pinterest. I had so much fun putting it all together on Club Scrap paper!

First, the sketch:

And the resulting card I posted for the challenge, turned on its side, with flowers instead of stars, plus a change in the triangle shape to a curved shape:


The funny thing about all three of these items I posted is that they ALL qualify for multiple challenges at the same time! The first card was posted to both the Monthly Technique Challenge and the ProScrappers League (PSL) Summer Camp challenge. The layout was posted to both the Sketch Relay Challenge, and the Weekly Chronicles Challenge. The last card was posted to both the Card Sketch Challenge and the July Technique Challenge.

Now I challenge YOU to pick one new challenge this month - break out those Club Scrap supplies and use them any way you can!

6 comments:

  1. Great examples of your fantastic challenge submissions Pam! Way to go. And you are so right, I LOVE all the different challenges too and so many to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super blog, Pam! Thank you so much for being our guest and for being a member of Club Scrap for so many years. We love our "KnitterPam" in the Coffeehouse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job being a guest blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, what a great way to share the challenges! They are all so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog Pam, of course, I'm always amazed how much you get done and how much you are doing!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.