Monday, October 1, 2012

Any excuse to get crafty!

Karen here...happy Monday everyone!

Being scrapbookers, stampers and papercrafters, most of us don't really need an excuse to get crafty...what we need is more TIME...am I right? 

So, not that I NEEDED an excuse, but I had TWO great reasons to get inky this weekend: 1. This coming Saturday, October 6, is World Cardmaking Day, and 2. I just found out on Facebook that the Technique Junkies Newsletter is celebrating its 10th birthday! (Remember our guest blogger from a few weeks ago, Pat Huntoon? Technique Junkies, aka "TJ" is her baby.)

Therefore, in order to celebrate BOTH occasions, I thought I'd whip out a couple of cards using a few techniques from my latest TJ newsletters. (The Mike-man was kind enough to get me a TJ newsletter subscription a couple of years ago for Christmas...and it kinda, magically, just keeps getting renewed...what a great guy, right?) Much like our very own Scrap Rap Magazine, the TJ newsletter is chock-full of awesome techniques and ideas. I grabbed 2 recent issues and challenged myself to create cards while trying out 3 "new-to-me" techniques. Wanna see?

This first one is my interpretation of  the "In the Middle" tutorial from page 4 of the October/November 2012 issue. (I ended up trimming the panel after it was created, so it looks a teensy bit different from their samples.) 

Full Circle UM stamps, random CS card base/panel
For my second card, I tried out "Inky Bands" from page 8 of the same Oct/Nov issue. (I just KNOW this is the technique used on a bunch really cool cards I've been pinning left and right on Pinterest!) 

Brewed Awakenings UM stamps, random CS card base/panel
Finally, I found another awesome technique to use with my Gelatos on page 3 of the June/July TJ newsletter. They call this one "Rubbed Gelatos". It really is as fun as it sounds, and the results are really pretty. My Bon Appetit UM stamps were perfect for this card.

Bon Appetit UM stamps, random CS card base
(Sorry I couldn't give you more specifics about the techniques...but you can get full 
detailed instructions over at Technique Junkies. )

So there you have it! Whenever your "muse" refuses to show up, grab a Scrap Rap, or a Technique Junkies newsletter, and your CS stash for some "play time" with a few of those new techniques you've been wanting to try for so long. You'll be glad you did!




11 comments:

  1. Excellent cards Karen. I've gotten the TJ newsletter for years, it's fantastic and just the trick when your muse is stuck. Grab it and try something new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your cards, Karen! Thanks for the inspiration ala TJ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Karen! I just got my TJ in the mail today and saw the "In the Middle" and "Inky Bands" techniques and thought, "Gee, I gotta try those - they look really cool!" Now after seeing your samples, I definitely gotta make some time to try these out! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love TJ! and i love your inspiration! now, only if I had some time... just got my newsletter today and i can't wait to try the techniques with my CS stamps and paper!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen...beautiful cards.

    As you know, my muse flew the coop...thanks for reminding me of these great resources already in my stash :)

    pat-czap

    ReplyDelete
  6. These really are great cards....thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all of your cards- I love the TJ newsletter too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful cards! Isn't TJ the bomb!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.