Monday, April 15, 2013

A Fun and Educational Card Drive!

One of the best parts of my job is teaching. When my pals, Julie and Vickie, learned about Operation Write Home from us last year, they asked me (and Club Scrap) if we'd help them host an OWH Card Drive at their church. Tricia generously donated the materials, and I agreed to teach some card-making techniques, with the understanding that all the cards created be donated to Operation Write Home.

So, last Thursday night I got to hang out with Julie, Vickie and six other ladies at St. Bernadette's Church in Appleton. I spent the first hour sharing four different techniques using watercolor crayons with stamps and stencils. After we created a nice variety of "art panels" with these techniques, we took those panels and created some really beautiful greeting cards with them. Here are a few that I created during the workshop:




So, can you guess how many cards this small group of eight ladies made? By the time I counted them all up, we had 105 cards to donate to OWH! Isn't that amazing? We had such a great time that it was hard to believe we created so many cards in such a short time!

And now I get to update our OWH Card Counter! Yay! I can't wait to get this new number posted on the sidebar!


So, here's an idea...why not get together with a few of your favorite people and make some cards? Play with a new technique from an issue of the Scrap Rap Magazine, or try something from one of Tricia's YouTube videos. It's great fun, and knowing you're doing it for a great cause is really rewarding, too!

Creatively yours,
Karen




13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cards, Karen! I'm going to have to CASE some of these already! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, we should get together a meetup to make cards for this!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful cards Karen and great job for owh

    AnnetteD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to see that number rise, Karen! I've GOT to organize my cards and add mine to the pile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Job Karen!! And there is now a thread in coffeehouse for this too - several of us have committed to send 10 cards for OWH in with the monthly birthday swaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that...what a great goal. Now I have even more reason to be excited about the Birthday Card Swap!

      Delete
  5. I'm going to a crop this weekend and plan on spending about 80% of my time working on cards for OWH. You should SEE the pile of stuff I have packed, lots of POPs and card panels and stamps and stickers and stencils, OH MY! I HOPE to make 150 cards over the course of the weekend with help from some of my friends, I've committed a few of them to making at least a few cards while we are there. I'll be sending them in after I get them all logo-ed and tucked into envelopes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic, Melissa! That will really make our card counter climb! Have fun at the crop!

      Delete
  6. Would you like to the count the ones I made in the last 2 PSLs that are in boxes that are being prepared for mailing? Last count was over 300.

    MsScarlett

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.