Tuesday, May 14, 2013

OWH Sketch #171 Formula

Wow, those gals over at Operation Write Home are a talented bunch! They have a weekly card sketch challenge on their blog, so those nifty sketches keep piling up! Today's inspiration comes directly from Tonya B., the designer of sketch #171. (Thanks, Tonya!)


I was able to transform the sketch into a semi-easy cutting formula that cranks out four cards. I love how the spacing on the three background panels is pure perfection! I ended up with a goodly amount of paper leftover (gasp!), so I decided to make an additional matte on top of the three existing 2-3/4x1-1/2" panels. Of course, you can skip that part if 'ya like.

Choose four pieces of 8.5x11 paper. I selected the Yellow, Light Gray, Dark Gray and Black from our Bright Lights, Big City collection.

Chop this way:
1. Trim horizontally at 5.5".
2. Cut one 5.5x8.5 horizontally at 8.25, 5.75 and 3".
3. Cut the 3x5.5 horizontally at 5".
4. Trim the 2.75x5.5 horizontally at 4.5, 3 and 1.5".
5. Cut the 2.5x5.5 horizontally at 3.75, 2.5 and 1.25".
6. Score the remaining 5.5x8.5 horizontally at 4.25" and fold into a card base.

Wow--just look at that pile of paper pieces begging to be made into cards!



Next step, sort and arrange the components, alternating the colors. I was going to go with that cute punched postage stamp shape as an embellishment, but I decided to accent with ribbon, instead. A girl has the right to change her mind and not go back to re-take the pictures. ;)


I stamped the three panels with the lighthouse image from the fabulous Cape Cod collection. The "congratulations" stamp came from the Bookshelves Greetings UM. It was a quickie stamping project where I only had to use White Pigment and India Black inks.

Tah-dah!

Be sure to add a white panel to the inside of the card if you plan to submit to Operation Write Home. Our heros don't have those fancy white gel pens. 
A stroke of luck the way the pretty fiber from Bright Lights, Big City landed within the three panels.



If you're interested in eliminating the stress of choosing and coordinating papers and stamped images, let us help you! Join one of our fun clubs and find out why so many people can finally just relax and get crafting.

Happy paper chopping!
Tricia









20 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo another nifty card formula using up some of that stack (enormous) of beautiful 8 1/2 by 11 paper I have! Hopefully some of the folks who got those amazing on sale paper packs last week take advantage of these great sketches.

    Hoping to be back in the craft room soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this formula, thanks Tricia for making it easier to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful formula Tricia! Love the lighthouses on Bright Lights, Big City!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice formula, love the mixed kit approach, they look awesome! What did you do with the stamps you punched out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are still sitting on my work table, exactly where I left them! But I'm sure they'll find a home somewhere, 'cuz they're super-cute! I'll do a follow-up addition to this post if I come up with something fun. ;)

      Delete
  5. Great formula Tricia, although i'm not a member anymore, i use your formula's almost always for cards and layouts!
    Hugs from the Netherlands
    Cordine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreeing with the above comments, great formula and you made some FAB cards, Tricia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this formula and will give it a try this weekend. Is there someplace that all the card formulas are easily accessible in one place? (besides flipping through all the blog pages to find them, I mean) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeppers, Lucy! Here's the link: http://operationwritehome.org/sketches/

      Delete
    2. Sorry Lucy, I just re-read your post, and realized you're looking for the card formulas, not the OWH sketches.

      I blogged about all of the formulas Tricia has done so far here: http://clubscrapcreates.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-2013-card-challenge-continues.html.

      Of course, this doesn't include todays, but the rest are linked there. Have fun!

      Delete
  8. great formula for cards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous cards Tricia! I love the BLBC paper with Cape Cod stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got tons of CS paper packs (from Club Stamp kits mostly) for making these wonderful sketches. This one is so clean and yummy looking. And I just love the colors from BLBC!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Update - - - I did make a correction to step #4 and #5 in the cutting instructions. Thanks, Lynn, for discovering the error!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Inspired by you, Tricia, my cards are here:
    http://craftchaos.blogspot.nl/2013/05/saturday-sketch-card-owh-sketch-171.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not been able to submitt my #171 Finished card for you to see. How do I do so? Some one gave me the instructions , but I guess I'm not very computer savie. Ej

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, EJ! If you have a digital picture or scan of the card, you can post it online anywhere and simply send the link in a comment to this blog. Or, you can email it directly to me at tricia@clubscrap.com, and I will take care of it for you. Not sure if you're a member of our online community, but you can also post it to the gallery there. Would love to see!

      Link to join community: http://clubscrapcommunity.com/distribution/

      Delete
  14. this is my card for Sketch #171
    http://jscraftycreations.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks great! You're quite tech savvy if you already have a blog. That was perfect!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.