Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Card Care Connection

I'm so proud of our efforts to support Operation Write Home (OWH) over the past few years. We've raised awareness, hosted card drives and raised funds for this important cause. Recently, we discovered another wonderful opportunity to touch the lives of others through our passion for card making.

It's a sad fact that we've all been touched by cancer in one way or another. Card Care Connection is an organization devoted to enriching the lives of those affected by cancer. Card Care Connection collects handmade cards from card-makers like you and me, fills them with words of encouragement and sends them to individuals in their time of need.

A few years ago, our designers created a special sheet of UM rubber perfect for creating uplifting cards for those fighting cancer. 


The We Are Aware UM is less than three bucks, while supplies last.
I wanted to share a few of the cards I recently made to send to Card Care Connection, using the We Are Aware stamps:

Pop dots add dimension, ribbon and washi tape border.
Fine print reads: "Caution: When opening much love will fall out."
A bit of masking and shading adds a fun touch.
Much like OWH, the Card Care Connection stresses quality over quantity. The inside of the cards should be left blank so that CCC volunteers can write personalized messages inside each card before it is sent to the recipient. Recommended themes are Thinking of You, Have a Nice Day, Hello . . . all encouraging and uplifting messages are welcome. Blank cards (art only) are also acceptable. In order to keep their postage expenses down, A2-sized cards are preferred, and they ask that cards not be overly lumpy or heavy. 

I know we have a huge amount of talent and generosity out there, so to kick things off, I'm hosting a month-long card drive for Card Care Connection. To participate, create some beautiful cards, add the appropriate envelopes (unsealed) and send them to my attention at Club Scrap, 1375B Constitution Drive, Neenah, WI 54956. (Please send cards no later than July 16, and be sure to check out the full list of guidelines before setting to work.) And since everyone loves inspiration, I encourage you to share your favorite creations here via the Linky Tool below. Let's get crafty!


Creatively yours,
Karen





13 comments:

  1. Karen, what a wonderful organization and I will plan to send along my cards today with my Birthday Swap cards. I made cards using this lovely UM stamp set a while back and this is the perfect place for them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I need to just make extras when in a card making mode!! Love your cards Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, Karen! Thanks for kicking us off with the card drive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cards are great Karen and what a wonderful organization! I will pull out my stamps and paper and create a few.

    Do we have a goal # to aim for?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to make cards for this organization. Not sure I can manage it before July 15 (I am making 250 wedding invitations)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOPS hit send too soon ...
    but I will focus on this when the wedding invitations are done for sure! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cards Karen - I've used this set a few times with some of our 55+ residence that are going through these cancer battles....these do work great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be sending you a package this week! Good project, Karen, and I'm happy to help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would you explain why NO colored pencils, markers, crayons?
    Thanks, Bee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an excellent question, Bee. You could certainly pose that question directly to the folks over at CCC, as they are the ones who wrote the guidelines, and I'm sure there's a valid reason for the "rule".

      It looks like there's a form on the "Contact" page: http://www.cardcareconnection.com/contact.aspx

      Delete
  10. I can attest to the value of this project having recently been through all the treatment and emotions of cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just received birthday swap cards and Julie H., Lisa D. and Norma all sent card donations. Thanks, ladies!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.